top of page

History of St. Luke Church

The history of the St. Luke Church dates back to 1925, when it was established by Millissis Shannon and her husband Charles. There were approximately 12 members. Church services were held in homes and in what was known as bush harbors.

The first pastor of the church was Elder Bonner, who was succeeded by Elder James Lee.

Succeeding Elder Lee was Elder W. E. Garner, who served for thirty -three(33) years.


In 1964, Elder Walter Shannon became the pastor of the church. Under his leadership, the church was renamed

"St. Luke Church of God in Christ." Elder Walter Shannon served as pastor until the Lord called him home in 1997.

His son, Elder Earl Allen Shannon, was appointed to the leadership position of the church in 1997.
St. Luke Church has grown from twelve members to a congregation of over one thousand members.

The late Elder Walter Shannon had a vision;  Elder Earl Allen Shannon has brought the vision to pass. Under Elder Earl Shannon's leadership, the church has provided a wealth of outreach programs and ministries to the beautiful city of Olive Mississippi and Worldwide.

bottom of page